Call for application
Admission requirements and topics
In order to be admitted in the School, applicants must be in possession of an Academic degree title which grants access to a third level education programme (PhD) in the country it has been issued.
Applications are also accepted from students who expect to complete their degree by 31 October 2022.
For admission requirements and application procedure please check the call in the "Downloads" area on the right. Only the Italian version of the PhD Call is legally binding.
Deadline: May 16, 2022, hrs. 04:00 PM (CEST)
The application must be completed and submitted at: https://webapps.unitn.it/Apply/en/Web/Home/dott
The application is subject to €15 non-refundable fee.
It is strongly recommended not to wait until the last few days prior to the deadline to submit your application.
After completing and sending the application, please make sure to receive an email notification confirming the definitive completion of the application procedure.
The list below provides a short non-exhaustive summary of what to upload on the application:
♦ scanned copy of the applicant's ID or passport
♦ M.Sc/M.A. degree transcript of records and diploma
♦ Curriculum Vitae
♦ Motivation letter
♦ Research Proposal
♦ Certificate attesting the knowledge of English language at B2 level
During the filling out of the online application, applicants must choose which research area and no more than two project-specific grants (reserved topic scholarships) within the Area they are interested to apply for.
Applicants may also opt for additional scholarships, which will be available AFTER the publication of this call and published on the selection website.
The applicants who will have the application open after the publication of additional scholarships can apply for those scholarships by using the entry “Other” in the proper section of the online application.
The applicants who will have already closed and sent the application before the publication of additional scholarships can apply for those scholarships by an additional application which will be available from 17 to 20 May 2022.
The total number of chosen scholarships (additional + main online application, max 2) cannot exceed 3 within the same Area.
Area A (Curriculum 1: Computer Science)
- Deep and Structured Machine Learning
- Language Speech and Interaction
- Machine Learning and Intelligent Optimization
no. 3 scholarships - University of Trento
no. 2 scholarship on reserved topic - DISI Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science:
- A1 - Adaptive Multimodal conversational agents » details
- A8 - Learning to adapt with Geometric Deep Learning MUR PRIN 2020 - CUP E63C22000390001- Prot. 2020TA3K9N [additional reserved topic scholarship] » details
no. 7 scholarships on reserved topics - FBK Fondazione Bruno Kessler:
- A2 - AI-based 3D inspection for industrial quality control » details
- A3 - Application-oriented Speech Translation » details
- A4 - Computational Models for Human Dynamics » details
- A5 - Domain Adaptive Tiny Machine Learning » details
- A6 - Neural Models for knowledge driven Natural Language Generation to fight misinformation » details
- A7 - Self-configuring resource-aware AI-based speech processing » details
- A9 - Analysing the effect of counter-narratives on hateful conversations online [additional reserved topic scholarship] » details
Area B (Curriculum 1: Computer Science)
- Cyber Security
- Embedded Intelligence and Robotics Systems
- Next Generation Networks
no. 1 scholarship - University of Trento
no. 6 scholarships on reserved topics - DISI Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science:
- B1 - Automated Program Repair for bugs and security vulnerabilities » details
- B2 - Testing and Explainability for bugs and security vulnerabilities » details
- B3 - HW/SW co-design of trusted services » details
- B4 - Resilient AI-Based Self-Programming (PRIN 2020 - CUP E63C22000400001; Prot. 20203FFYLK) » details
- B5 - Formal framework for Trustable IoT applications » details
- B6 - Human aware motion planning for mobile robots and manipulators » details
no. 3 scholarships on reserved topics - FBK Fondazione Bruno Kessler:
- B7 - Adaptive Automated Planning and Scheduling via Combination with Reinforcement Learning » details
- B8 - AI/ML at the Wireless Network Edge» details
- B9 - TinyAI for energy-efficient smart sensing in IoT » details
Area C (Curriculum 1: Computer Science)
- Data Intelligence
- Social Informatics
- Software Engineering and Formal Methods
no. 2 scholarships - University of Trento
no. 2 scholarships on reserved topics - DISI Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science:
- C1 - Innovative Education in Computer Science » details
- C2 - Participatory Artificial Intelligence » details
no. 2 scholarships on reserved topics - FBK Fondazione Bruno Kessler:
- C3 - Human-centered AI in the data spaces » details
- C4 - Safety verification and validation of autonomous systems with AI components » details
Area D (Curriculum 2: Telecommunications)
- Remote and Distributed Sensing
no. 1 scholarship - University of Trento
no. 3 scholarships on reserved topics - DISI Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science:
- D1 - Development of methodologies and automatic techniques for the analysis of data acquired by satellite radars in planetary missions» details
- D2 / D4 [additional scholarship] - Development of methodologies based on machine learning and artificial intelligence for the automatic analysis of satellite remote sensing images » details
no. 1 scholarship on reserved topic - EURAC Research (Accademia Europea di Bolzano):
- D5 - Snow cover detection and glacier mass balance estimation with machine learning methods and multi-source satellite data [additional reserved topic scholarship] » details
no. 1 scholarship on reserved topic - FBK Fondazione Bruno Kessler:
- D3 - Analysis of long and dense remote sensing image time series » details